Never Said That, The Selectors, You Will Need To Bring Sabbir - Mortaza > Cricket News, cricinfo, mobilecric, cricbuzz, livescore and more

Cricket news - Never told selectors they must pick Sabbir - Mortaza

Mortaza stressed he never pressurised the selectors to pick Sabbir for the tour.

The controversy regarding the selection of Sabbir Rahman not to lose steam, with Chief selector Minhajul Abedin and Mashrafe Mortaza come up with contradictory statements. Sabbir has been selected for the tour of new Zealand despite its ban by the Bangladesh Cricket Board, the extension to February 28.

The batsman was suspended for his off-field problems, which in September of last year, after he allegedly threatened a fan on Facebook. Abedin stressed Sabbir has been selected, on the recommendation of the Bangladesh ODI captain. "We were informed by the disciplinary Commission, that he is available [for selection] and after we got the distance we have him in the squad. He is, as of January 31, the Committee reduced his ban to a month," he said.

"Let me make it clear, one thing about the Sabbir. He was taken by the strong insistence of the captain [Mortaza]. He asked firmly to us, him included, and we have agreed with the captain.

"The team want someone in the squad who can bat in the lower order with the ability to deal with the pacers. We have him holding the new Zealand tour and the world Cup in the back of the head. Let's see what he can do. The captain of the team, and we are also confident about him."

Mortaza, however, has now Abedin words countered stating categorically that he get never pressure on the selectors to Sabbir for the tour. "The selectors have sole authority over the selection of players. You wanted my opinion and I gave it to them with Cricket logic. I've never told you that you need to take, Sabbir. Presumably, you were convinced with my opinion, and that is why you picked him," he said.

Meanwhile, in a strange turn of events, BCB's disciplinary committee chairman Sheikh Sohel denied knowledge of Sabbir ban reduced. "As far as I am concerned, Sabbir got a six-month ban. Now I came to know that his ban was reduced. I have no information relating to a reduction of his ban," clarified he. "But Yes, if he had appealed to the BCB President, that is a different thing."

Sabbir has its fair share of issues off the field. He had been accused of a fan during a National Cricket League match in Rajshahi, directing abuse at fans on social media and beat Mehidy Hasan during the Afghanistan series. Before the ban was imposed, Sabbir, he was already serving a six-month ban from domestic cricket, and had already TK fined 20 lakhs by the Board of Directors.

Live Home Series
Player Schedule
Points Table Cricket Rankings
Cricket Clothing Cricket Equipment
Cricinfo Apps Download