New Zealand Pull Ahead After See-saw Session > Cricket News, cricinfo, mobilecric, cricbuzz, livescore and more

Cricket news - New Zealand pull ahead after see-saw session

Matt Henry struck twice for NZ

Matt Henry struck twice for NZ

There were very few moments in the Test so far where England have had the upper hand. They would've thought they did right after Lunch after having reduced New Zealand to 361 for 9 from 326 for 5. However, some late cameos from the lower order stretched the lead to 85 before they were bowled out. New Zealand though, seized back control of the second Test with two quick wickets before Tea was called. Matt Henry was on the money right from the onset and accounted for both the openers within five overs. Both Rory Burns and Dom Sibley edged to the slip as England were reduced to 18 for 2 at Tea, behind New Zealand's 388 by 67 runs.

Henry struck off the second ball of England's innings, tempting Burns with a pitched up delivery. Burns should've left it alone, but chased it only for an outside edge. A similar dismissal had Sibley back in the pavillion with just 17 on the board. What was touted to be a good day for batting, resulted in a session where seven wickets fell. After Lunch, England's pacers bowled really good lines and lengths, to trouble the New Zealand batsmen. While Mark Wood and Olly Stone's pace tested them, Stuart Broad and James Anderson were getting to swing. England would've hoped to run through New Zealand's batters, after picking three wickets for less than 20 runs, but resistance was offered by Ajaz Patel and Trent Boult for the final wicket where they added 27 in 21 balls, playing their shots before Broad trapped the former leg-before to finish with a four-wicket haul.

Although they lost two wickets in the opening session, New Zealand scored 97 runs, scoring at a rate close to 4. Ross Taylor seemed more like the batsman he's known for with an aggressive and attacking approach in the first hour, much in contrast to the scrappy innings from yesterday. Having lost Will Young in the last over yesterday, Taylor led New Zealand's charge with boundaries flowing fluently, with England having a poor start to the day. Taylor and Henry Nicholls added 50 runs for the fourth wicket, of which, they had scored only 39, with England offering them freebies. The quickfire stand helped New Zealand inch towards 300 with 63 runs being scored in the first hour without losing a wicket.

The jinx of the eighties, however, continued to haunt the Edgbaston Test with its latest victim being Taylor, who fell soon after the drinks break for 80. Taylor, who yesterday had 16 runs in 57 balls, scored his next 59 runs off just 76, taking on England's bowlers, who couldn't make good use of the second new ball. England only had themselves to blame with dropped catches hurting them. If Joe Root and Zak Crawley were the culprits on Day 2, Sam Billings and James Bracey spilled straightforward catches in the morning session. Taylor went after a short ball, pulling it to Sam Billings who ran in from fine leg, but he couldn't hold on. But Bracey redeemed himself to pluck a sharp catch to dismiss Taylor, who went chasing a full delivery outside off with some away movement.

Bracey was having a dismal day behind the stumps, and matters only got worse when he put down Tom Blundell after Taylor's wicket. Blundell had a nervy start, unable to find answers to the bowlers who had their tails up. However, a full length dive sent Nicholls back, falling prey to the short-ball ploy employed by Wood to give England two wickets in the second-half of the session. Blundell fought on for a for a useful 34 before falling to Broad.

Brief scores: England 303 & 18/2 (Matt Henry 2-7) trail New Zealand 388 (Devon Conway 80, Will Young 82, Ross Taylor 80, Tom Blundell 34; Stuart Broad 4-48) by 67 runs.