Cricket News By TODAYLIVESCORE.INFO - Jay Shah confirms offer to play two extra T20Is in England. BCCI secretary told Cricbuzz that the offer is valid only as long as there's no demand for a forfeiture
BCCI secretary told Cricbuzz that the offer is valid only as long as there's no demand for a forfeiture
The BCCI have confirmed that they've made an offer to the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to play two extra T20Is, should both parties decide to settle for an amicable resolution over the standoff that resulted following the cancellation of the Manchester Test.
BCCI secretary Jay Shah told Cricbuzz that India have agreed to play two extra T20Is against England so that the ECB can recover the losses incurred from the cancellation of the Old Trafford Test, with the condition that there should not be a demand for the forfeiture.
“It is correct that we have offered to play two extra T20Is when we visit England next July (only for the white-ball games). Instead of three T20Is, we will play five T20Is. Alternately, we will be willing to play one-off Test as well. It is up to them to choose either of the offers,” Shah told Cricbuzz on Monday (September 13).
The Test in Manchester was cancelled after Virat Kohli & Co expressed apprehension at playing, following a spate of Covid-19 positive cases in the Indian camp.
The Daily Mail in the UK reported on Monday about the BCCI offer: “However, the offer — designed to help ease a potential shortfall of 40 million pounds in English cricket's already stretched budget — would be instead of, not as well as, the rescheduled Test. The offer of a rescheduled Test still stands.” Shah confirmed the same.
The BCCI secretary also said that was unaware of reports of ECB knocking on the doors of ICC's Dispute Resolution Committee (DRC) with a demand to treat the cancelled Test as forfeiture. But Shah made it clear that the extra games will be played only when there is no such demand.
Meanwhile, Shah denied knowledge of any move to split the international captaincy between Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma. “There is no such proposal and the team is led by Virat and we are backing him,” Shah said, agreeing with the comments of his colleague Arun Singh Dhumal, who “rubbished” the reports earlier in the day. “We are sensitive to the fact that such a proposal is not in the interest of Indian team when it will take part in a World Cup,” the BCCI treasurer told Cricbuzz.